Glenny ADAMES
Glenny Adames, a young Dominican journalist who left his country to find a better future in Madrid. His blog, "Chronicles of an immigrant", is a guide to hundreds of people living similar situations
"It was July 2006 when I decided I moved to Spain. It was somewhat by chance, not everyone in the Dominican Republic it occurs. They dream of going to the U.S. more I was writing in a newspaper of general information, I liked my job. But I wanted to live the experience of spending a timeout . Nor was it clear where to go, until my best friend married a English and said that Spain was easier to integrate, for the benefit of language. "Thus began the Adams Glenny experience in Madrid, a few years" nothing easy ", in which he realized, first hand, how hard it is to be an immigrant in Europe, but despite He has managed to overcome.
"My biggest mistake was coming to Spain with a tourist visa. In a few months expired and I was undocumented . Processing of papers is very difficult, almost impossible, and the worst is that nobody can help. Only the time. "Thus, Glenny was caught in a situation that was very hard to leave." The worst was the theme of work. I was used to working as a journalist, as a professional, but here was impossible. I was 7 months caring for an elderly couple. Some people get used to it, but I found it very hard, "he says.
Later, Glenny got a job as a waitress, but soon discovered that their situation had not improved much. "I worked 10 hours a day and had no life also miss my daughter, who had stayed in my country," he says. "Most of the migrants are professional people in this situation. But little by little and with perseverance, is outside the circle."
Glenny "out of the circle " A year ago, when a former professor offered work from the Universidad Complutense. "Now I support a team of sociologists working in the investigation of public land and I'm very happy, "she explains.
Chronicles of an immigrant
" One day, just as he had to ask for my papers and I had the receipt of the request, police stopped me on the subway exit. I spoke too bad, then I realized the horrible reality that people live without regularization. Until that day was not conscious, but if the paper had asked me a few months ago, had spent the night in jail. They made me feel terrible ".
was then decided Glenny share their experiences in a blog serve others who were experiencing the same situation she had lived. Moreover, as missed him write it included articles on current issues related to immigration, and resources of interest to migrants. The result of all this is "Chronicles of a migrant, a blog known among the migrant community and to receive comments like this:
" I found your blog by chance, a very interesting subject matter so seriously, it is a drop to change the reality, something very necessary for the immigrant society as for the national, and I do not understand because there are people afraid of something that simply enriches .
Or this:
" Through your blog to help not only our people, but immigrants from other nations that support the same hardships. Keeps going to the Dominican Republic and the world will support you "
To Glenny, is very exciting to know that people follow his blog." For example the other day a colleague of my partner said he knew the blog, and I did not know it was mine! I also get emails from people who ask for my advice, I try to help as far as I can, "he says.
future plans
Now that you have resolved your adjustment and has achieved job security, Glenny dreams bring your child to Madrid, to return to work as a journalist, and study to specialize in immigration issues. "I keep taking courses related to the topic interests me a lot," he says.
A of the things that you "give courage" of the situation of migrants in the English State is that politicians and opinion relate public immigration crime, or when people say that immigrants receive more aid than the English. "I have not had more help than the strike when I've been out of work, which is something we are entitled to all" he says.
As for the Dominican community living in Madrid, says that "are very well integrated. I know some associations are very active, but alas I live a bit far and I can not participate much in them."
And back to the Dominican Republic? At the moment I have my life here and I plan to stay a while longer. But do not rule no chance. I love my country!
And you, what can you do?
You can also follow the example of Glenny and help other immigrants who live in a situation similar to yours. There are many ways to do
- create your own blog to share this experience
Via MIGRATING
Blog del Migrante
0 comments:
Post a Comment